“How do I come with with a business name?”
So, you’ve laid out a plan to start your business but there’s one thing that is missing: A nice sounding business name.
Here are a few things that might actually help in solving your problem.
Great Ideas on How to Come Up with a Good Business Name
USE YOUR OWN NAME
- Using your own name is not a bad idea, unless if it’s something that is very common. As a matter of fact, a lot of well-known brands and products are based on an inventor’s name or it’s owners. (Bayer, Grundig, Cadillac)
- People have used their names as well as the name of their family members and friends, including nicknames.
- As a matter of fact, two famous companies that have been in existence for the longest time has been based on a family member’s nickname. (Mercedes and Danone)
USE A DICTIONARY
- Checking the dictionary for a business name is common, given that the dictionary is a collection of words. In case you can’t think of a good name, looking things up in the dictionary would offer some ideas. (Picture of a Dictionary)
USE FOREIGN WORDS
- Using words that aren’t familiar grabs people’s attention and it is also a good marketing strategy in itself.
- Aside from the facts already mentioned, something that isn’t common always seems to sparks an interest. (Daewoo, Altavista, Audi)
MASH AND MIX IT UP
- Mashing and Mixing words together is another way to come up with a unique name and it is something that is comparable to an oxymoron.
- Given that you might be able to come up with something that is unique and distinct out of your imagination can be interesting. (DKNY, LEGO, COMPAQ)
- Some of the biggest names in business across different industries use acronyms based on the first letter of every word in a name or a phrase.
- Some examples of our DIY (Do It Yourself), AOL (America Online), GE (General Electric) and BENQ (Bringing Enjoyment and Quality to life)
USE SYMBOLS, MYTHOLOGY, and LITERATURE
- The use of symbols and stories based on myths and things that come from the Bible is another way of coming up with a good name for a business.
- A fine example is a popular sports brand “Nike” who happens to be the Greek winged goddess of victory.
- ASUS, a computer and phone hardware and electronics company based its name from another mythical winged creature, “Pegasus” and Samsonite a luggage manufacturer and retailer based its name from a biblical character named Samson.
USE LATIN WORDS
- A lot of companies and famous brands use Latin words as it has proven to be a great source of good names for business.
- Some of the best examples for this is a well-known automobile manufacturing company Volvo, which is a Latin word for “I roll” and Verizon, an American telecommunications company that came from a Latin word “Veritas” for “truth” added with the word horizon.
INTENTIONALLY MISSPELL WORDS, GRAMMAR and USING YOUR LOCATION
- There are a lot of ways on how you creatively can come up with a good business name by intentionally spelling words incorrectly either by adding, removing, or changing some letters.
- Some good examples are Flickr, Tumblr, and Noah’s Arf or Doggie Pause as well as CISCO which is a shortened version of San Francisco where the company was founded.
GET IDEAS BY ASKING PEOPLE’S OPINION
Asking your family and friends for their opinions will greatly help to expand your imagination
It is important to keep in mind that any name that you might come up with should be original. You also have to consider future expansion and any changes to the business.
Run a name check to make sure that it hasn’t been used or registered by somebody else.
You can do this by clicking on the link on How to Perform a Business Entity Search for a Las Vegas Business.